Tuesday, April 27, 2010

hurray! yesterday my BAGGU arrived. not pictured, but all my stuff has somehow gone from being pink to blue: my cell phone, camera, MP3 player, & water bottle.
I dig this bag with this wallet (pictured).
I started reading breaking open the head: a psychedelic journey into the heart of contemporary shamanism. It's really engaging & I did not realize going in that the author was going to pull in all these theories & ideas. Woo, Walter Benjamin! Makes for a good, solid read. Here's a good tidbit:
"For those who tried the tribal hallucinogens without proper preparation, the results could be disastrous. Jean-Paul Sartre, for example, took mescaline in Paris during an experimental clinical trial in 1935. For over a week, long after the physical effect of the drug had worn off, Sartre found himself plunged into a lingering nightmare of psychotic dread and paranoia; shoes threaten to turn into insects, stones walls seethed with monsters. He was bewildered, terrified- the physical sickness and psychic anguish may have inspired his novel La Nausee, in which the writhing bark on a single tree reveals what he saw as the mechanistic horror of nature."

No comments: