Wednesday, July 14, 2010

fotos from the garden

bird poop tomato. don't worry, it's still good!

zucchini-bonanza!

zinnia flowers, so pretty.

you avid readers, it has been awhile! I've been reflecting on only have 3 more weeks before my VISTA term is ended. the looming thought of unemployment makes me sad and a bit uncomfortable. But, while I truly enjoy this job, I also strongly want to move to Portland by the end of August. if I can both move & get a job in PDX, I will be very thankful indeed. to come, lists! 01. things to do in MI before moving 02. things to do in PDX.

it's zucchini season! hurrah! a gardener at Towar already harvested a bucketful of them & was so kind as to give me some. I will be making bread tonight. I think zucchinis are quiet cute in the way they grow from the plant (see 2nd foto above).



tah-dah! so, I finished the community garden tour poster early last week & it has since gone to the printer & into the windows of Lansing businesses. if you live in the Ingham area, you should come on out! details:

July 27, 2010 Bike Tour @ 5:30P Location: Letts Comm. Center
1220 W. Kalamazoo
Lansing, MI 48915

July 29, 2010 Bus Tour @ 5:30P
Location: Foster Resource Center
2401 Marcus Street
Lansing, MI
‎ 48912

pest management: it works!
I have a hard time catching cucumber beetles, because they are smart & quick to fly away. i'm having great success with an oil & soap spray. the spray makes it harder for the bugs to fly away, so I can catch them and oil smothers the bugs anyways. I feel a bit destructive killing bugs, but it must be done. on that note, only use spray if you are sure there are destructive plant eating bugs. the spray is indiscriminate & will kill the bugs it comes into contact with.
recipe:

1T oil (I used canola)
1T biodegradable liquid soap
1C water

mix all ingredients in a spray bottle & give it a shake.
you're all set to defend plants from bugs!


a foto of our bug foe. you can see he has been sprayed from the bubbles on the leaf.

No comments: