Wednesday, July 4, 2012

13 weeks from planting date - here's a snapshot of what the garden is doing. Above is the one Sugar Star snap pea plant that has made it. There are a handful of peapods that will be ready to be picked in the next 2 weeks - they're ready to pick when they look so plump they might explode! I think pea plants are the prettiest with they're delicate vines and cute little leaves.

baby pea pod

I've been getting a good harvest from the 4+ kale plants. There have definitely been some munchers - I've been picking off big fat green caterpillars and wiping away yellow and white egg clusters on the undersides of leaves. The yellow eggs corresponded with finding the Small White Cabbage butterfly caterpillar (Pieris rapae) munching on the leaves. The white eggs are probably Leafminers (more info here). Both insects overwinter in the soil, making them hard to beat. But, I don't mind eating veggie w/ some pest damage - it's only aesthetics.



2 carrots made it!


Blue stupice tomato is a new addition! I helped plant these seeds to grow into starts at Bluehouse Greenhouse Farm! I planted this guy in my garden with some bat guano & lots of water - I've already go 3 baby tomatoes! I haven't had to prune many suckers off & it seems to grow relatively vertical. Easy peasy.

No comments: